Monday, October 1, 2012

Last Quarter.....

     Today is Monday, Oct. 1.  At this point fall is officially the season, even though the weather is shouting SUMMER. 
     With the start of October my thoughts turn to the late in the year holidays.  One cannot deny that this present year is almost over.  The conversation is now about Halloween, who is coming for Thanksgiving and will I celebrate Christmas in northern Wisconsin.  BURRRR.   This winter I am NOT anticipating -20 degrees and lots of snow, rather nippy temperatures that still allow for outdoor walks. 
     But today there is more immediate concern.  Today is DUMPLING DAY!  Hooray!


                                        My dumplings......William and Gerry!!

 
Oops, I'm suppose to talk about the round dumplings.
 
     Dumplings, saurkraut, roasted pork and gravy is a meal I learned from my German mother-in-law.
My children grew up eating the meal.  Now Grandma G has a traditional duty to cook one wherever and whenever she visits family.  (Though I haven't cooked them since last spring in Vancouver,WA)

     While I am here in San Diego, William came over for his belated B-day meal of dumplings.  Dumplings are simply round clumps of broken up sorta hard bread mixed with grated potatoes and cooked in boiling water.  (Add a little salt to both)  Some folks call them "clunkers" for the way they land in one's stomach.
Another generation learning to love dumplings...
 
And a Happy 35th B-day to William!!
 
     35 years ago tomorrow,right after his baptism, he and I took an ambulance ride to a hospital 2 hours south of Park Falls, WI for a baby "strangulated hernia" operation. It was quite tramatic at the time, but he has fared well since. 
 
     So, cooking the dumpling meal, eating B-day cake, doing stretching exercises for 40 minutes, hanging out with Gerry and William a bit, and anticipating returning home in 2 days occupied my time.
    This has been a good first day of October in the life of Grandma G. 
 
"The moon marks off the seasons, and the sun knows when to go down.  You bring darkness , it becomes night."  (Psalm 104: 19 & 20) 
 
 
     
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment